Saturday, August 27, 2011

Feeling Nostalgic

Freshman Steph, complete with pink hair.
I came to BYU three years ago. One of the first things I did was get a job. I started working at Auxiliary Maintenance, first on an HVAC crew, and then after a year I got transferred to "The Cage". (If that name sounds epic, it's because it is, haha.) I made great friends, had great bosses, and learned how to fix stuff like a pro.

I put in my last day at Auxiliary Maintenance today. The policy there is that right before you leave on your last day, you have an exit interview with the director so that you can reflect on your experience and make suggestions for company improvement without fear of punishment. The question that I've thought about all day is, "What was the best part about your job?" The best part has definitely been the people that I've worked with, the lasting friendships that I've made, and as a bonus, I learned how to fix electrical appliances.There were many times that I dreaded going to work, plenty of times that I hated it (especially after hurting my hand and when feeling sick all the time while pregnant), but today as I drove away, I cried a little. I will sincerely miss that place.

I feel like, in a small way, leaving maintenance is the end of an era in the life of Steph. Working there has been such a huge part of my life since coming to BYU! Not only am I leaving that job, but I feel like I'm embarking on a new phase of being a real adult in so many ways. I'm starting my first non-blue-collar job on Monday, starting grad school on Monday, and trying to get ready to have Charlie come into my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm truly excited for all of those things, but I have no idea what I'm doing! I don't know if I'll be able to have a sit-down job; I don't want to let my favorite professors down when they've thrown me such a HUGE bone in letting me work with them; I don't want to squander this chance to get a first-rate graduate education; I don't know how to give birth or how to be a mom (those last two are the most mind blowing of all)!

I know that it will all be ok. I know that God will not give me more than I can handle. If you had told me three years ago that I would be at this point in my life, I wouldn't have believed it. My life in the past three years has stretched and changed me, and has ultimately made me a better person--at least I hope I'm not the silly freshman that I was then. I guess what I'm trying to learn is that obstacles might seem insurmountable, but they really aren't when we do our best to rely on God. When we do our best, He makes up the difference.
So here I go!

3 comments:

  1. I guarantee you're going to be a great mom(crazy to think that you'll actually have a little boy soon!!), employee and student!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, you're the nicest person in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry. Those last two come pretty naturally. And you'll be/do great!

    P.S. that pink hair takes me back! Love it.

    ReplyDelete