Thursday, March 22, 2012

Talkin' 'bout the Issues...

First off, I don't mean this as a whine-fest nor a attempt to fish for compliments. I try to not dwell on negative things. However, I think that writing this post will help me to think through some of these struggles and I think that anybody who reads it (if anybody reads it) can feel a little more normal for having similar struggles. Even though this is my blog and I can write whatever I want, I know that there is a fine line between being honest and airing your dirty laundry. So here is my attempt at honesty.

I love Charlie Man--so much more than I ever thought possible. I consider myself to be a generally happy person, but I have smiled so much more since he was born than I ever did before. He is my sunshine, and he makes all my highs even higher. Consequently, all my lows are even lower. (The Family: A Proclamation to the World, anyone?) In other words, on some days I can't seem to kick these post-baby blues.

I've dealt with some depression before. I even tried meds for a while, but I didn't like how they affected me, so I won't go that route again--plus, I don't want to mess with breastfeeding. I read that what is considered postpartum depression can hit any time in the first year after a baby. The first six weeks after Charlie's birth were hard for me in so many ways, and I feel so much better now than I did then. But I still have really difficult days.

I was really sick towards the end of my pregnancy. I gained 20 lbs (mostly water--I was really swollen) in the last 6 weeks of it, making my total weight gain almost 60 lbs. Being on bed rest during the pregnancy has made the recovery more difficult, unfortunately. I did my first run 6 weeks after Charlie was born, I could barely run 1.5 miles, and my whole body was sore for days. I have lost over 40 lbs, but I'm still not close to the way that I want to look. This lack of weight loss, frankly, is a huge deal to me. Even though I know that my weight has nothing to do with my worth as a person, it's quite difficult to remember that. My entire life, I have always cared way too much about how I look, and for the most part, I have always thought that I was at least a little bit attractive. Since getting pregnant, I've felt really fat and ugly most days. I thought (probably unrealistically) that by 3 months postpartum I wouldn't feel like this--a year is a long time to feel so unattractive! I have a hard time looking at my stretch marks and my alien body, to say the least. I think that if I were closer to the weight that I want to reach, I would be more okay with the stretch marks, but who knows? (It looks like a pink zebra on my belly.)

I am trying to do all the right things: eat healthy, get good sleep, exercise daily, read my scriptures, etc. Those things help to take the edge off, but I still feel this way. Maybe part of my problem is that my expectations were unrealistic before. I mean, can I really expect to lose 60 lbs in three months?! I am eating more vegetables, fruits, and whole grains than I ever have before, and I am exercising almost every day, but I can't overdo it because I want to keep breastfeeding. It's a fine line. My weight loss has plateaued this month, and I'm starting to be afraid that I'll always look this way.

I don't know where to go from here. I guess the most I can do is keep doing what I'm doing, but sometimes I feel a little bit hopeless. Again, deep down I know that I have worth. I would never trade Charlie Man for anything. I don't regret him at all. I just wish that I had a better handle on my struggles right now.

4 comments:

  1. it's okay to write about your problems when you are reaching out for help and support. I never lost all of my weight from my pregnancy with Aubrey and with Kate's I put on a lot of weight. I wasn't happy with that and the thought of waiting a year to not be breastfeeding to really try dieting, but trying to be patient with myself has gone a long way. Just continue living healthily, put on make up and your cutest clothes every morning, and just accept that you only have to look good for your husband and he loves you no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. It's nice to hear from people that have gone through the same thing.

      Delete
  2. My sister told me the truth about loosing the pregnancy weight: it took a long time to gain it, and it's okay if it takes a long time to loose it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, You're gorgeous. I think what you're writing about it totally appropriate as well. People like me who don't have the privilege of being near you and very active in your life still want to know the things that weigh on your heart- good and bad. This just makes you an interesting person! I love you.

    ReplyDelete