Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Progress

The postpartum period has been a little rough for me, as the last post makes abundantly clear. I'm happy to report, though, that I have redoubled my efforts to feel well again. Here's my report:

  • I am still praying and studying my scriptures everyday. It really does help.
  • I am eating even healthier than before--I have gone without ANY meat for almost a month now, and I really am feeling better. In addition, I am trying to eat less dairy and more vegetables, as well as eating more organic foods. I NEVER thought that I would get into this stuff, but I'm convinced that every small thing I do is making a difference.
  • I am going on longer runs and loving them. I've even stopped bringing my Zune with me (for the most part) because I really like being alone with my thoughts. It has been wonderful to have time to myself to just think. In that same vein, bed rest was really hard for me. Being told that my body was too broken to get out of bed was pretty demoralizing. Then later being told that I'm healthy enough to exercise was so liberating! I took my good health for granted before. Every time I go for a run I thank Heavenly Father for helping me recover my strong body. I hope to never undervalue it again.
  • At my 6 week postpartum appointment I was told that I have diastasis recti, which means that my transverse abdominus muscle is still separated. (Necessary during pregnancy, but for many women, the separation remains, sometimes for life.) I was told that if I did enough crunches, the abs would come back together. AKA I wouldn't continue to have a "mom belly". Well, I did a CRAP TON of ab workouts and my belly seemed to only look worse. All of my research that I did on medical websites said that my only option was to get my muscles sewn back together via abdominal surgery AFTER I was done having kids! In frustration I gave up on having a nice tummy, but a couple weeks ago my favorite natural birth blog posted a link to a British woman's fitness website dedicated to fixing diastasis! She explained that traditional ab workouts do make diastasis worse. I'm not crazy! So I've been following her ab workout regimen for a while, and I will keep everyone posted on how that goes. So far so good!
  • I have been trying to sort out my feelings about body image and happened upon this post. The author says it so much better than I could. 
The underlying theme of all of these efforts is a better understanding of what I as a woman (body and spirit) am capable of. I'm tired of people telling me and other women that I can't do something, so I'm taking a more holistic approach to my overall well-being.

My scripture study has reaffirmed to me that being pregnant and giving birth to Charlie--almost without interventions--is what my body has been designed to do, and being his mother is what my spirit was designed to do. There is nothing more important that I can do. Nothing. All women, myself included, are made to do amazing things!

My lifestyle changes have taught me that no, I don't need expensive-harmful-invasive surgery to look and feel good again. When I treat my body well, it returns the favor. I try to eat whole, plant-based, toxin-free foods, and my body repairs itself so much better! (And, fyi, I'm back into almost all of my pre-pregnancy clothes.)

My journey to total wellness is far from over, but I know I'm on the right path and I am committed to it more than ever. I deserve to feel happy and healthy.

5 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I'm so happy to hear this. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, you are so awesome. I was amazed by the things you posted because my husband has taken many of the health precautions that you've taken as far as eating. I'm sure you've heard of the whole-foods, plant-based diet developed by Dr T. Colin Campbell, and the China study he did? Jacob started on this diet on his mission (in Spokane) because he was getting headaches frequently and had gained a lot of weight. This diet helped him lose 36 lbs (and that's by ONLY changing his diet). Basically, our household has no animal products whatsoever (for consumption ;). I still have dairy on occasion (the diet allows for 5% dairy in your diet) but have notice a difference in the way I feel. With the diet, Jacob can eat as much as he wants (of whole, plant-based foods) and he never gains weight. I highly recommend you looking into it if you haven't already. We'd love to exchange recipes with you, because we've built up an awesome meal plan since we got married (vegan sloppy joes are the BEST)! Jacob just started a blog (today) to post some of the recipes and philosophies behind his diet, as tons of people have been asking about it lately (munchingmoenches@blogspot.com). Also, my email is malissamoench@gmail.com. Let me know if you want to exchange ideas!
    Finally, Jacob has a diastasis recti too!! Weird, huh? He got it from doing too many crunches on his mission, and his doctor told him to definitely NOT do ab workouts. Let us know how that routine you just found works out! We'd be interested in knowing if it helps.
    --Malissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you! If you go full vegan, be sure to get all of your b12 vitamin. I've read that if you have a lack of that it could cause irreversible brain damage....especially if you are nursing your baby you are going to need protein. That is what I've learned anyways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara-- Vitamin B12 is in soymilk (50% daily value in one serving!), rice milk, and some almond milk so that's where vegans get B12. Another thing to be careful about as a vegan is getting enough iron from green, leafy vegetables.

      Delete