Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Grateful for Karen

If I could use only one word to describe Karen, I would use bold. When she makes a decision to do something, she pours her heart and soul into that endeavor. I've always considered myself to be on the cautious side of the spectrum; I like to plan, think, plan, think, and then start deciding. Conversely, Karen plans, thinks, and does, does, does! It is truly amazing to see what she can accomplish.

Many people have been able to observe and admire this trait via Karen's piano playing. Ever since she was a child, she performed even the simplest piano pieces with flair and finesse. As she got older, she continued to blossom into a charismatic performer through endless amounts of contests and recitals. I've always admired her ability to charm an audience, and I've often tried to channel that fearlessness in my own life. (Though I am still definitely the student and she the master.)

After high school, Karen started dating a cool guy that we knew from jazz choir, Jordan Fritch. They got engaged a few months later, and I remember her telling me that a lot of people told them that they were too young. Even though this frustrated her, she didn't let naysayers dissuade her from what she wanted. I will always remember how she was bursting with happiness on their wedding day. She knew that Jordan was the right man for her to build a life with, and she was right. The example of her relationship with Jordan helped me to understand that I needed to not date my high school boyfriend anymore, which was a big deal to me at the time. In addition, her boldness inspired me to move to Utah and to make a new and exciting life for myself as an brand-new adult.

A few years ago, Karen decided to start eating vegan. This caused quite a stir in the Linde family. My parents were initially offended by it because they saw it as a rebellion against their lifestyle. (My parents were both raised on farms, we lived on a dairy farm until I was 9, and my dad still works as a dairy cow hooftrimmer.) Karen's reasons for it were good, and she graciously continued to pursue a healthy lifestyle without shoving it in anyone's face. Even though I don't think any of the siblings were offended, we didn't get it. I was so grateful for her pioneering spirit (if you will) in the last year. Last summer, 2012, I noticed that eating dairy was upsetting my digestive system. She happily sent me lots of recipes and tips for how to eat dairy-free, and the recipes and tips were solid gold. She quietly reminded me that I should just stop eating dairy altogether because it would make me feel better, but I was too stubborn to listen for a few months. Then when the doctor told me in March of this year that I am definitely allergic to dairy and should cut it out completely forever, Karen was there to support me. She uniquely understood what I was going through, and she knew how to help.

One of my favorite things about Karen is her endless stream of innovative ideas and determination to see those ideas come to fruition. She crochets, knits, sews, makes jewelry, paints, designs computer graphics, takes beautiful photos, makes ballet barres, plans the funnest parties, cooks delicious vegan food, does everyone's hair and makeup, and gives the most thoughtful and cool gifts. And she taught herself how to do it all. She never worries about not knowing how to do something; she continues to pursue it until she has mastered it.

Probably my favorite thing about her, though, is that adult Karen is an unfailingly expert listener and really thinks about the needs of others. I can't count the number of times that she has patiently set aside time in her day to listen to me complain. But it's not merely that. She finds ways to sincerely empathize with me and helps me to have the analytic tools I need to understand my emotions and solve problems, which is genuinely difficult for me to do. (I have lots of feelings, but I rarely know what to do with them!) However, I'm not the only person that benefits from her kindness. So often I hear someone she's close to say "I was talking to Karen the other day..." or "Karen's insight was..." or "Karen was helping me with...". Even though she is an admitted introvert, she consistently and courageously puts herself in the thick of the action where she is most needed. And she knows exactly how to use her unique gifts and skills to help others. (Jenny's wedding, anyone?) She is a wonderful example to me.

Thank you, Karen.

1 comment:

  1. very sweet, but Karen has always seemed like a person who needs a lot of social interaction, and really introverted people are drained by too much social time. I think she's not completely introverted. Just my two cents

    ReplyDelete