I walked excitedly up to campus this morning for my first day of classes, and I was looking around at everyone milling about when I realized that I feel old.
Today is the first day of my sixth year at BYU. I've watched my bubbly sister Hannah get so excited about school, and it made me a little bummed that I don't have that giddiness anymore. I still love Linguistics just as much (or maybe more than) I ever have, but the newness of college is completely gone.
Not only that, but with each successive year, more of my dear and cherished friends move away to start new and exciting phases of their lives. And I'm still here. I continue to try and make new friends, and they continue to move away. And I'm still here.
I can say with 100% honesty that Provo really has been good to me. I've made great friends, graduated college, gotten married, had a baby, and continued to discover the person that I want to become.
It just all feels flat today: very one-dimensional.
But maybe tomorrow I'll feel differently.
We need to hang out more.
ReplyDeleteAgreed! Is your number still the one that ends in 4288?
ReplyDelete