2013 was quite a year for me. We celebrated Greg's graduation in April, we went to 3 of our siblings' weddings in the summer, I went to Colorado with Charlie, I finished 5 graduate classes (and got surprisingly good grades!), I ran a half marathon, my headache got a little better, I slept better than the year before, Greg got a great new full-time (and well-paying!) job, I made a small effort to decorate my apartment, I finished my classes for my degree, Greg grew a very attractive beard, and I gained a new level of awareness in my life. Despite all that, I don't remember being very happy. A lot of really difficult things happened last year as well--things that I would prefer to leave in 2013.
Instead of focusing on last year, I thought I'd share some of my ideas for how I'd like 2014 to go for me. I know I can't control most of what will happen this year, so I'll keep it simple.
1. Be happy
I can't control what happens to me, but I can control how I respond to it. I want Greg and Charlie to think of me as a happy person that buoys them up instead of dragging them down. In 2014, I want to smile more often than I frown, laugh more often than I cry, and love others more freely than I make assumptions about them.
2. Finish my degree
I am all done with my classes, but the biggest hurdle still needs to be overcome: the thesis. I have been dreading this for years, but it's time to get to work and write, write, write. More details to follow.
3. Run a marathon
Running the Top of Utah Marathon in 2012 was life-changing for me. I love running so much, but it's really hard for me to keep at it if I don't have a specific goal to work towards, so I'm going to do the Park City Marathon in August (if not, a different one in the same time frame).
Here's to making 2014 the best year yet!
Good for you Steph!
ReplyDelete