In late fall of 2014, Greg and I started talking about maybe moving to Allen, Texas before my thesis was done. We thought about it and prayed about it and in early January 2015 we decided to just up and go.
We've always talked about moving here after my thesis was done, but since my health hasn't improved and my thesis still isn't finished, we felt like we could use a lot more family help, especially help with Charlie. And that we needed that help sooner rather than later.
We love Provo!
It was (and is) a huge sacrifice for us to move far away from so many of our best friends. We truly enjoyed so many blessings in Provo, and we were always aware of that fact. We just started to feel like Heavenly Father had more blessings to give us, and in order to claim them, we needed to move to Texas.
Greg is continuing to work for the same company that he worked for in Utah, but he is working from home here in Allen. So far that's going pretty well, as far as I can tell and from what Greg tells me.
Here's a few of my reflections on the last few weeks:
1. Moving long-distance is a crap ton of work. It's a logistical nightmare for people like me, and it requires a truly exhausting amount of things to be done.
2. True friends are one of the best things that life has to offer.
3. Even though we loved it, our old apartment was teeny tiny compared to the current one. And even though we just moved into the new, nice apartment, I'm getting really tired of living in rental properties--I would really like to live in a house that we own.
4. I like to think that I'm pretty adaptable and that I can be happy anywhere. So far I feel like that is still true. Although moving sucks so hard, I really like it here so far and I'm convinced that we'll be really happy here.
5. Having lots of family around is really nice. Especially when they are the kind of family who is close-knit and willing to help whenever you need it!
6. Charlie is magically sleeping like a normal three year old since we moved here, and I feel like Greg and I are on a second honeymoon. It is amazing how carefree you feel when your kid actually sleeps at night!
7. Greg is the coolest, smartest, nicest, most amazing person I know. This move feels like a giant adventure (with some very real rough patches), and I'm so happy to have my Greg with me every step of the way.

yeah for bigger space, helpful family, and Charlie sleeping!!! Hallelujah!
ReplyDelete