I desperately wanted to finish grad school, but at the time I was so sick that I had no idea how that could possibly happen. So I didn't make it a formal goal. My only goal that I made for 2015 was to be ok.
This year has stretched me in ways I couldn't have anticipated. Moving to Texas and building a new life (away from my BFFs) was a large leap of faith for me. My surgery in April turned out to have a six-month recovery period. I spent almost every hour this year that Charlie was not in my care working on my research or writing my thesis. Greg took on a freelance contract which has demanded much of his free time. Charlie turned 4. My youngest sister got married, and one of my brothers left on a two-year church mission. I went to frequent counseling for much of the year and confronted many of my demons. I got diagnosed with two new major food allergies.
And as I sit here writing the first draft of this post on Christmas night, I look at this year and I see that everything really has been alright, just like the song says.
I finally finished grad school,
Greg and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary,
my Chronic Migraine is managed better than ever,
Charlie and I have bonded for reals,
Greg and I went to San Antonio together,
Charlie is potty trained,
Greg works from home (which I love!),
I got to spend time with my Utah peeps for a couple days (we've stayed close despite the distance!),
I'm building stronger relationships with my in-laws,
and I've come out of a faith crisis with my faith in Jesus Christ intact.
And I'm holding on to hope that next year will be a good one, too.
![]() |
| Image Source: Google |

When I read, "And as I sit here writing the first draft of this post on Christmas night, I look at this year..." I thought you were going to say something like, "It made me realize how much of a hell this year really was!" But instead you took on the positive side of it. 2015 was good because you finally got some answers and some relief. And I can't believe Charlie is potty trained! That's great! If he ever needs someone to call to celebrate, Avery will be there for him.
ReplyDelete