Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Why I love to study Russian


Studying Russian has taught me the importance of, well, studying. I have been able to get decent grades in my college career with only minimal studying and a lot of last-minute cramming with lots of last-minute praying mixed in. Russian, however, has not fit this mold. It has been humbling and frustrating to have to do hours of homework every night just to feel caught up for class everyday. So, in the midst of this silly little "trial" of mine, I am listing the reasons why I am studying Russian, and more importantly, the reasons why I love it, despite all the work it demands.
  • I feel compelled to learn Russian. I don't know why I'm supposed to learn it, I just know that I'm supposed to. Before I knew I was going to grad school, I knew that I wanted to learn Russian.
  • I need it for my master's degree. I'm supposed to learn two foreign languages, and one of them has to be a Non-Germanic and Non-Romance language. Russian conveniently fit the bill.
  • Ever since I met Anya, I have been fascinated by the Russian culture and language.
  • Greg speaks Russian, and I've always liked it when he would teach me Russian words and phrases.
  • The more I study the language, the more it fascinates me--I'm a nerdy Linguist, remember?
  • The more I learn about the culture and the history of Russia and the USSR, the more I want to learn!
Today as I left Russian class, I realized that I was so content and that my mind was happily whirring with the new things I learned today. I thought about it, and I realized that learning Russian makes me feel fulfilled as a student and as a person. (I remember feeling like that after Spanish classes, too.) I am the most happy in school when I learn about people, whether that be learning about the human body, learning about language, or learning about culture and history. I love that taking Russian classes has helped me understand Anya and my other Russian experiences better.


Today is a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment