In my current reading of the Book of Mormon, I am studying the book of 2nd Nephi. Chapter 4 of this book, until a few months ago, didn't strike me as being different from the rest of the Book of Mormon. The second half of it is often referred to as the psalm of Nephi, in which the prophet Nephi writes poetically about his deepest desires and his belief in Jesus Christ. These verses are now some of my favorite scripture verses, and it was so uplifting to read them through again. Today I was particularly touched by the beginning of the following verse:
"15. And upon these I write the things of my soul..."
There's an almost tangible spiritual power in these words for me. Thousands of years ago, this prophet was inspired to record some of his most precious and private thoughts and feelings so that we could benefit from them. I love that Nephi allowed us to see that he was a real person; that even though he was a prophet of God, he struggled and faced temptations too. Even more importantly, he shows us how to rely on the Savior Jesus Christ. A later verse in the chapter has touched me so profoundly that it is hanging on my wall:
"34. O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever..."
I'm so grateful for the Book of Mormon in my life.
Similarly, though I'm no prophet, I hope that in writing this blog I can thoughtfully share some of the things of my soul. In doing so, my wish is that I will be able to look back and draw strength from my own experiences and that maybe my kids and other people could someday draw strength from these experiences as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment