On Monday morning after Greg left for work, I checked my email and saw that BYU Graduate Studies had emailed me about my application. It was so anti-climactic! The email merely said that a decision had been made and that I had to login to BYU Grad Studies' website to see the decision. I was freaking out! I didn't have anyone to hold my hand while I logged on! With my hands shaking and sweating, I clicked on the link and a window popped up saying that I had been accepted! I GOT IN! YAY!
I'm really excited, and a little scared. I get to learn Russian now, which is AWESOME! But, it means more school. But I'm mostly excited.
A long background story to this event will now commence:
I love learning, but I've always kind of disliked school. I chose Linguistics as a major partly because I really liked it, and partly because it is such a short major. My friend Callan and I would always laugh about how we would never go to graduate school because neither of us like school.
Well, last spring, Callan told me that she wanted to go to grad school, and I was so surprised! She laid out all her reasons for wanting it, and I thought that they were all good reasons that applied to me, too. So that got me thinking. Then, in the summer, I started going Visiting Teaching with Bethany, an awesome woman in my ward who is finishing her MPA. We used to visit Jenn, who was finishing her Master's of Social Work. They both talked to me alot about grad school, and how cool it is, and they got me thinking some more about it.
As Fall Semester started, I realized that I would be graduating soon and I needed to figure out what I was going to do once I graduated. So I prayed alot, and in October I got the clear answer that I was supposed to apply for BYU's Linguistics Masters Program. Many hours of stress, an expensive test prep class, lots of writing, and tons of prayers later, I got into the program! I submitted the application on January 14th, and I had been anxiously awaiting the decision since then.
I think that Heavenly Father has a sense of humor. Here I am, complaining about school, and He tells me that I need to go to more school. I guess I just haven't learned how to love school yet. All joking aside, I really am grateful for this opportunity to further my education. I know that I couldn't have done it without His help, and everyone's prayers. Thanks everyone!
Stephanie! So I am blog-following you... haha. Congrats on getting into grad school, you are so amazing! That's way awesome!
ReplyDelete